Monday, July 21, 2008

It's been a while, since I could...

So my Stralman jersey should be arriving any day now, meaning that he'll soon be traded (no joke). I haven't updated in a while because... there hasn't been anything to talk about.

It looks like Frogren will after all be allowed to come to camp at least, and then an arbitrator will decide on his contract. The problem inherent there is that Frogren's counting on his signing bonus to buy out his old contract in Sweden. It looks like he'll get the money at first, but as to what happens if the NHLPA's grievance turns south on us seems dicey. I'm looking forward to having a Dman with some footspeed to take over Gill's role, so I hope everything turns out in our favour.

We acquired Hollweg. Why I'm not sure, nor do I care overmuch, he's a depth guy that can always start in the minors, we gave up Pittsburgh's 5th for him so, well, whatever. However I don't agree that we could have just used someone from the Marlies in his place, as none of the Marlies looking to make a spot this year actually fight. Newbury tried once and I doubt he'll do it again, and both he and Ondrus actually comprise scoring forwards on the Marl. Earl's also traditionally been a scorer and a penalty killer, not the kind of guy who sits in the box for 5 mins. Really, beyond Kyle Rogers and maybe Foster or Boyce, there aren't a lot of guys on that roster who take the role of agitators.

I think Sundin will re-sign with us. If money was an issue then he would have taken Vancouver up on it's offer, however they don't offer him much in terms of probable success. There hasn't been much out of Montreal's camp lately, and I think that despite their success there's some question marks regarding that club next year, namely will Price pull a Raycroft, can the Kostitsyn's hope to be as wildly successful as they were, does Kovalev revert back to his old self, was Streit actually valuable, etc. At the end of the day I think that the options available to him aren't good enough to warrant turning his back on his team of 14 years.

2 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

stralman jersey, eh? i think that's a good call. i'm lookin forward to his progress this year

Scott Baker said...

just got it in the mail, it's a thing of beauty. too bad he'll be gone next season...